What is Hawking?
Hawking is a module used to manage Hawker accounts and to add Commission Groups/Rates to separate accounts.
Hawkers are mobile vendors who walk up and down a stadium or ballpark with items to sell. Via the Hawking panel, it is possible to manage Hawkers, the items they sell, their commission and other account details
The Hawking functionality is based on items that are Inventory Items.
By default, the Hawking module is hidden from Connect. It needs to be enabled from the admin panel. Please contact Appetize Support to enable Hawking.
After enabled, Hawking will be visible under the Connect left side menu.
Vendor that will distribute items to Hawkers needs to have 'Hawking Location' switched on. To do so, follow the below steps.
- Log into Connect
- Select Vendors from the left side menu
- Search for and choose the correct Vendor
- Scroll to the bottom of the 'Vendor Settings' tab
- Change 'Hawking Location' to YES
- A 'Hawking Location - Employee' must be selected from the drop-down in order to create transactions.
- Confirm by clicking the 'Save Changes button
Hawking Set Up
To be able to create a Hawking account, you need to open Hawking -> Set up page.
There are several steps that need to be taken in order to set up a Hawking account. They’re arranged under Set Up in the order they need to be completed in.
(Set Up -> Commission Rates -> Commission Groups -> Hawker Types -> Hawkers -> Hawking Locations -> Seniorities -> Items.)
After clicking on Set Up, you need to:
1. Create Commission Rates
- Commission Rate is used to create various commission types for Hawkers based on specific criteria
- Click on Commission Rates → Create
Name: Fill in with the name of your Commission Rate, i.e. Rate 1
Based on: Define the commission (what is it based on). It can be two types:
- Quantity: the commission for Hawker will be based on the quantity of sold items (5% for each sold item.)
- Dollar Amount: the commission for Hawker will be based on the dollar amount of sold items, i.e. for each $30 of sold products, Hawker gets $3
Type: Define the commission type
a) Percentage: % value of the take
b) Dollar: constant $1 amount for each sold item (i.e. worth $30)
Value: Fill in with the numeric value that will define chosen Commission Type. The field is both for Type: Percentage and Type: Dollar
Calculation Type: This field will only be visible when Commission Type: Percentage. Decide whether your Hawker's commission calculation is Gross or Net amount.
2. Define Commission Groups
- Commission Groups need to be created if you want to add the same Commission Rate to a group of items sold by a given Hawker
- Commission Groups can only be created when Commission Rates have already been added
- Go to Hawking → Set Up → and click the blue 'Create' button
- Fill in with the group name and save
Click on a newly created group to add categories of items (click the blue 'Add Category' button)
If after clicking 'Add Category' your category list is empty, do the following:
- Go to Connect → Options → Report Category
2. Fill in with any name
3. Mark the category as 'Primary' (only then it will work)
4. Assign some items
5. Then, the category can be added to the Commission Group
When categories of items are added to the correct Commission Group, you can change the Commission Rate assigned to each item
Item Categories can belong to the same Commission Group but can have different Commission Rates assigned.
- Go to Connect → Options → Report Category
Click the small pencil button to select a different Commission Rate within one Commission Group
Commission Rate assigned to individual item category is always superior. So even if a category of items is already added to Category, it will take the commission from 'Commission Rate' field.
3. Create Hawker Types
Hawker Type is used in order to be assigned to a Hawker account. Hawker Type allows to define:
- Minimal commission for Hawker
- How much a Hawker would earn for sold items
- Each Hawker must have 'Commission Group' assigned and that is why 'Hawker Type' need to be assigned as well
To add a new Hawker Type, click on Hawking → Set up → Hawker Types and click 'Create'
Name: fill in with name of your Hawker Type i.e. 'JuniorHawkerType'
Description: add additional info to describe this Hawker Type i.e. 'This is Junior Hawker Type that will be granted to new Hawkers only'
Commission Group: Choose from the drop down. Hawkers cannot have individual items to sell, but they can have the whole group (with a package of items) assigned.
To be able to complete the Hawker Type, you need to create Commission Groups first.
Minimum Payable commission: Fill in with numeric value. This value stands for minimal commission that Hawker would get.
Allow Shortage: Set the toggle to Yes / No.
a) If it is set to Yes, a Hawker can have a negative cash flow when paying for a load.
If you click on Yes next to 'Allow Shortage', you can enter the maximum shortage amount (i.e $10). If shortage exceeds set 'Shortage Threshold', it will be deducted from their commission. So in the case when Shortage Threshold = $10, and at the end of the event a Hawker is $5 short - it won't be deducted as it does not exceed the threshold.
b) If it is set to No, Hawker needs to pay the whole amount when paying for a load.
4. Create Hawker Account
- Click the blue 'Create' button to add a new Hawker
Name: the name for the Hawker account
Hawker Type: choose from the types defined in Hawking → Hawker Types section. You cannot skip this step.
Hawker ID: numeric value that is used to identify a given Hawker account by the system / in reports
Seniority: for now it shows the work practice of a given Hawker. Depending on the seniority settings, Hawker has access to various items. I.e a senior Hawker has other/higher access to items than junior Hawker. / or: i.e. a senior Hawker can sell alcoholic beverages, and a junior Hawker cannot.
Once your Hawker account is created, you can click on it to edit the details. You can also delete the account here.
- Click 'Create' to add a new Seniority Type
- There can be various Seniority Types (i.e. 'Golden', 'Master', 'Junior')
- You'll be able to assign a Seniority to each Hawker account
- Once you've entered the Seniority Name click 'Save' to confirm
- Seniority works as a point of reference for Hawker's supervisor (it helps to quickly get the idea of a given Hawker's work practice / experience)
Hawking > Set Up > Seniorities view
6. Hawking Location
Hawking Location is the vendor where a Hawker takes his load of items from. Each Hawker must have a hawking location assigned
- To assign, open Hawking Location
- Click the blue 'Assign Location' button
- Select one Vendor (remember, that Vendor can become Hawking Location only when it has Hawking Location = Yes) and click 'Assign' button next to Vendor's name
- Additionally, you can look up all Hawkers assigned to one Location (hit 'Show Hawkers' button)
The last step is adding items that can be sold within the Hawking Module
Select Set up
Choose Items and hit the blue 'Add item' button
Note: Items that are available for Hawking Module are Inventory Items and must be correctly configured first.
7.1 Hawking module - Items setup
To make items available for Hawkers, follow the steps below.
- Open Inventory → Items → select the Item you want to have for sale for Hawkers
Navigate to Item Details → Additional Options and select Item Category
If you don't have any Categories to choose from the dropdown, you need to create at least one Inventory Category:
a) open Connect → Options → Categories
b) Click 'Add Inventory Category' button
c) Fill in with name / sales code (optional) / cost code (optional) / tax rate
d) Save Changes
Select your Category from the dropdown
- Then navigate to Vendors tab and click Add Vendor to your item. Remember, that Vendor must have Hawking Location turned on.
- Then the item will show up in Hawking → Set up → Items → Add item