The iSMP is a secure EMV Chip and PIN mobile payment device to be used with Apple iDevices via Bluetooth. The iSMP allows mobile merchants to convert their device touch into a powerful and secure POS solution. It is composed of 2 functional sides:
- 2D bar code reader.
- Smart card reader, charge pads, micro USB connector,
- Magnetic stripe reader,
- Bar code scanner activation buttons (on either side)
- Graphic display
- Navigation keys in the menus
Pull open the battery door, then insert the contact side first.
Before using iSMP for the first time, it must be charged for 4 hours. After that, it should take 3 hours to recharge the battery to full capacity.
- Charge the iSMP using the power cable or the docking station (provided separately as an accessory).
- A battery indicator is provided on the iSMP screen, indicating the charge of the module.
- The iSMP has been designed to be able to charge the iPhone/ iPod touch while operating.
A charging dock is available as a separate accessory. It connects on the charging pads and includes guides to ensure a solid connection in the cradle.
The iSMP can also be charged using the charger provided in the package. The charger has to be plugged into the micro‐USB connector.
Positioning the Terminal
- Install the terminal on a flat surface with easy access to an electrical outlet if needed.
- Place the terminal away from any heat source and somewhere protected from dust, vibrations and electromagnetic radiations (Ex. video terminals, PC, anti‐shoplifting barriers, etc.).
- The iSMP must be positioned in such a way as to prevent the viewing of the cardholder PIN entry.
- To power on the iSMP, connect the battery and press green key.
- To power off the iSMP, press pound (#) key + yellow key.
- Install the iPhone/iPod touch on the iSMP as described above.
- Switch the iSMP payment module by pressing the green key
- Follow the iSMP initialization procedure. This procedure differs from one customer to another. Please refer to the payment service provider.
- Business payment application running on the iPhone/ iPod touch will be customer specific. Please refer to the business application provider.
Press and Hold the power button to turn the iPhone/ iPod touch OFF. Press and Hold when the device is in OFF mode to turn the iPhone/ iPod touch ON.
Adjusting the contrast
The screen of your payment module is 128 x 64 pixels, illuminated with white light.
If you wish to increase or to decrease the contrast of the characters displayed on screen, press simultaneously on the ‘‐‘ key and F2 key in order to decrease the contrast, or the ‘‐‘ key and F3 key in order to increase.
Keep pressing the keys as long as necessary.
Barcode is activated with the 2 side keys as shown below.
List of bar codes supported:
CMOS Imaging reader reads 1D and 2D codes
1D: Codabar, Code 3 of 9, Code 11, Code 32 Pharmaceutical (PARAF), Code 93, Code 128, EAN with Add‐On and EAN with Extended Coupon Code, EAN‐13, Interleaved 2 or 5, Matrix 2 of 5, Plessey, GS1DataBar, Straight 2 of 5 IATA, Straight 2 of 5 Industrial, Telepen, Trioptic Code, UCC/EAN‐128, UPC and UPC‐A
2D: MicroPDF, Codeblock, Aztec, QRCode, MaxiCode, DataMatrix, PDF417
Credit Card Functions
Insert the card manually in the driver, magstripe‐facing right.
Inserting a chip card
Chip Cards should be inserted into your terminal as illustrated with the chip facing up and into the card reader
Reading Contactless (Optional)
Bring the card firmly up to the active zone above the display (at about 1cm). Keep the card close to the display during the transaction
The contactless terminal has a row of four status lights that are visible on the display.
- When a contactless transaction is started the first (left hand) status light will be lit steadily; this indicates that the contactless display is in use but a card is not being read.
- When a contactless card is presented to the contactless active zone during a transaction the second, third and fourth status lights will be lit in turn.
- The card read is successful when all four status lights are lit and the confirmation tone is heard.
Cleaning of the terminal
First of all, unplug all the wires from the terminal. Good rules for proper cleaning of the terminal are:
- Use a soft cloth that is very slightly soaked with soapy water to clean the outside of the terminal.
- Do not clean the electrical connections.
- Do not use in any case, solvents, detergents or abrasive products: Those materials might damage the plastic or electrical contacts.
- Avoid exposing the terminal to the direct rays of the sun.
- Do not put anything into the slot of the smart card reader
Transport and storage
- Use the original packaging for any unit or stored.
- Disconnect all cables from the terminal during the transport.
- Disconnect battery from the terminal during the storage.
- The terminal does not turn on: Battery level is too low
- Check the USB connection
- Check for iSMP positioning into the cradle
- Check for electrical power network
- The terminal fails to establish iPhone/ iPod touch connection
- Check that the iPhone/ iPod touch is correctly inserted
- Check the configuration of the iPhone/ iPod touch
- Get support from technical
- Cards are not read
- Check that the magnetic card is passed correctly (with magnetic band directed to the interior of the terminal)
- Swipe the card again with the magnetic stripe movement constant and rapid
- Verify that the magnetic strip is not damaged, grooved or cracked
- Make sure you have inserted the smart card into the smart card reader correctly and removed the card only after prompted.